Hosted telephony - why invest?
Sep 12, 2017
The education sector must consider many factors when introducing a telephony system. Schools look for three things in a phone system - resilience, safety and efficiency. The phone system supports the day-today operations of a school so it is crucial it has certain features and functionality.
Teacher and student safety is paramount and therefore a communication system that enables the staff and students to be safe at school is imperative. Schools need a reliable, resilient phone system, and if there are circumstances that mean the phone system cannot work in the way it is designed to, an effective disaster recovery plan is needed. It is vital that messages can be left so that issues can be dealt with quickly and efficiently.
Instant messaging can also be beneficial especially where an emergency situation arises or where a quick response is required between teachers and staff. Having the ability to prioritise calls is a must. The nature of a school environment means that particular calls will place a greater priority than others, and the system must be able to cope with this demand.
The main challenge for schools is selecting a telephony system that has the high quality features required within a set budget.
The solution - hosted telephony
For the teacher
- Safety - Page all phones in case of emergencies or other announcements. And with mobility features such as twinning with mobiles and the soft client for PC and smart phones, turn staff into a mobile workforce in case of an emergency
- iPhone app and call pull feature allows teachers to easily transition from a call with a parent or an administrator on their handset to their mobile device
- Every extension includes a personal mailbox and voicemail that can be accessed from a phone, email or mobile application, meaning teachers no longer have to rely on secretaries to pass messages on
- If the teachers all have laptops, instant messaging is available through the soft client in order to quickly speak to colleagues
- Integration with Outlook to enable teachers to dial parents or other contacts directly from their PC
- Call recording for important calls
For the administrator
- Mobility – administrators often move all around the school but that should not make them difficult to contact
- Never miss a call - Soft phone, twinning, sequential ring
- Auto attendant to ensure the right person is being spoken to. And custom greetings to give a warmer, more professional image
- Limit disruptions during the day by blacklisting malicious callers
- Use the outbound conference facility to hold vital allstaff calls
- Schools may not have a dedicated IT team, a hosted phone system removes the dark art
- Queuing – can provide an intelligent, friendly way of dealing with calls even during the busiest periods
0330 024 2222
Want to know more? Why not watch our webinar on hosted telephony services, given by Richard Scott, Hosted Telephony Specialist at Focus Group.
Please add a comment
You must be logged in to leave a reply. Login »